Ghaziabad is a historical city. It was founded in the year 1740 by Gajeeudin the minister of Moghul Emperor Ahmadshah and Alamgir IInd. At that time it was named Gajeeudin Nagar. As per records this city was constructed within the the boundry of four giant doors and a huge inn (Sarai) of 120 rooms was built. These four doors were named Dasna Gate, Sihani Gate, Delhi Gate and Shahi Gate respectively. Later on Shahi gate was renamed as Bazar Gate and after independence it was renamed as Jawahar Gate. Rest three gates carry the old name as it is. Before 1740 it was a some sort of picnic place of Mughal Emperors. There small villages called kaila, Bonjha, Jatwara etc.Our freedom fighters had first confrontation with British soldiers on the bank of Hindon River in 1857 while coming from Meerut during Freedom Fighting Struggle. Graves of British Soldiers and Officers killed on 30th and 31st may, 1857 can be seen today at the Meerut Road Crossing near Hindon River. In 1864 Train (Rail) was introduced to the city. First train was introduced between Aligarh & Gajeeudin cIty. There was a problem in printing railway ticket " Gajeeudin Nagar" due to long name. To reduce the name, it was changed to Ghaziabad.During Sher Shah Suri regime, this city was under Loni Division (Pargana). Loni was founded by Rakshas (Demon) Lavnasur who was killed by Shatrughan the younger brother of Lord Rama. Later on Taimur Lung killed about 1 lac innocent people in Loni. Upto 1857 Gajeeudin city was under Delhi. In 1807, when Meerut was declared as District then this city became part of Meerut. At that time its Tehsil was Dasna. Muradnagar was declared Tehsil in 1857. On 14th Nov, 1976 Ghaziabad was declared as district. 8 Blocks of Meerut (Rajapur, Muradnagar, Bhojpur, Hapur, Dhaulana, Loni, Simbhawali, Garh Mukteshwar) and 2 Blocks of District Bulandshahar (Dadri and Bisrakh) made the district Ghaziabad.
In 1997 when new District Gautam Budh Nagar was declared, Dadri & bisrakh went to Gautam Budh Nagar.Ghaziabad is famous as a Industrial City. With progress of Industries the population of the city went on increasing. In 1972 Total population of Ghaziabad District was 13 Lacs 56 thousand. It was increased to 18 Lacs 43 thousand in 1981. In 1991 population went upto 22 Lacs and now in the year 2000 it is approx. 30 Lacs. 12 Lacs live within the Mahanagr (Municipal Corporation Limit) Length of Ghaziabad 72 K.m. Total area of Ghaziabad is 2590 Square meters.
Ghaziabad is one of the best agricultural district.If we don't mention the name of Historical Sidh Peeth Dudheshwar Nath Math Mandir of Ghaziabad it will be a great error. Rishi Vishveshar, the father of RAVNA (Ramayan) used to worship Lord Shiva at this temple. Later on Chattarpati Shiva Ji (Maharashtra) rebuilt this historical temple and performed "Pooja". History of 550 years is wriiten on the walls of this temple.
Ghaziabad is an industrial city, with manufactures in railway coaches, diesel engines, electroplating, bicycles, tapestries, glassware, pottery, vegetable oil, paint and varnish, heavy chains, and typewriter ribbons. It is on the Delhi-Kanpur railroad, and many workers commute to New Delhi from there.